Tuesday 30 October 2012

Anna's Victoria Sponge.

I chose my recipe from the tried and tested Be-Ro baking book. My mum gave me a copy of this book which she has used to make so many of her delicious cakes, so I thought it would be a failsafe option! The recipe is really simple and easy to remember. It’s basically 100g of everything, plus 2 eggs. I have attempted to make a Victoria sponge a couple of times before and although the lightness of the cake has improved I have not been very successful in getting the cake to rise.

My top tip for cake making, which I learned from a day spent on a baking course, is to cream the eggs and sugar so that the mixture turns from a yellow colour to white with an extremely soft texture. This is meant to create a much lighter texture and it really makes a difference!

So, was I successful in my bid to get my cake to rise? Well, sort of!! This time I actually managed to make a cake that I could cut into two halves – so maybe it was successful!? I think I would have liked it to have been a little bigger – I will work on that for next time! I finished my cake off with butter cream, strawberry jam and icing sugar dusted on top.

I was pleased with my cake, but next time I will get it to raise more! It tasted really good and it was nice and light inside. My tasting team (aka my boyfriend) gave it thumbs up, although I think this might have been slightly biased. I will definitely make this cake again and I will keep you posted on my progress!  

No comments:

Post a Comment