Sunday 28 October 2012

Felicity's Victoria Sponge...with a twist


Being a bit of a baking novice I reached straight for the Good Housekeeping recipe book and used their tried and tested recipe for the 'perfect Victoria sponge'. Nothing unusual there.

In the beginning there was flour...

Usually I lump all the ingredients in together but this time I followed the recipe by the book; creaming the butter and sugar together, followed by beating in the eggs and finally folding in the flour. And all by hand! Harder work than I first thought. Good job I'd been to the gym this week in preparation. Jokes.

Ye olde fashioned scales

All was looking good and they went into the oven. Now the tricky part - waiting. I've never been one for patience so I peeked and prodded for 20 minutes until they finally came out looking golden brown and cooked through (the knife test - thanks Mrs Stringer!).

I went for a traditional butter icing - couldn't resist a bit of pink food dye - and Mum Pointer's homemade blackcurrant jam for the filling. And to top it off a few dusted hearts.

And the 'twist'? A sprinkling of lemon zest and juice in the mixture and icing to give it a bit of a kick.

And voila:


My tasting panel (the Pointer family) gave it the thumbs up. And a tip from mum - maybe a few degrees cooler for the oven next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment