Thursday 30 May 2013

Meringue Gelato Cake with Chocolate Cream Sauce

With Bank Holiday just gone, and my Mother's birthday falling quite nicely on the Monday - I hosted a celebratory buffet at my house. So, this could only mean a bit of baking needed to occur.
I made the bakewell tart (using the recipe I posted previously) and as an extra, I decided to try my hand at Nigella's Meringue Gelato Cake from Nigella Lawson's Nigellissima Book.
A friend of mine had made this and given me a few pointers - the chocolate sauce makes a LOT - so one can half the recipe at least, and that it was a rather easy but amazing recipe to do.
(when a recipe is described as 'easy' it worries me - so I got to work with trepidation!!!!)

Ingredients:

300ml Double Cream
1 tbsp Coffee Liquer/Rum*
8 Merringue Nests (crumbled)
30g 70% min Dark Chocolate Solids - fine splinters

Sauce:
250ml Double Cream
2 tbsp Coffee Liqueur/Rum
125g 70% min Dark Chocolate Solids - fine splinters
250g Raspberries

Method:

Firstly I lined a 450g Loaf Tin with clingfilm, ensuring that there was plenty hanging over the sides (As recommended).

I poured the cream into my kitchen aid and whipped on a low setting until lightly whipped. Once whipped, I added the fine splinters of dark chocolate, and as I'm not a coffee fan, and I didn't have any rum in, I used amaretto and added 1 tbsp of amaretto to the cream and combine with a wooden spoon. Once mixed, I crumbled in fine crumbs of meringue into the mixture and folded it into the mixture. Once all folded, I started to pack it into the loaf tin - spreading out using a pallette knife to ensure the mixture was level.
I used the 'excess' hanging of clingfilm to cover the tin, and wrapped the entire tin in another coating of clingfilm, and popped it in the freezer over night.

On serving the next day, the sauce has to be done just before serving, so I warmed the cream up on a low heat, stirring all the time, and adding the chocolate - watching the mixture thicken, but ensuring it doesn't boil as it will effect the sauce. I removed from the heat and allowed to cool slightly, but constantly stirring the mixture. At this point the recipe states that you should add the liquer/rum, however I didn't feel it necessary so omitted this.
I removed the gelato cake from the freezer - in which it had expanded and was easy to remove due to the use of the clingfilm.
I garnished with the raspberries, and drizzled the chocolate sauce over the gelato cake - only a light drizzle, allowing the guests to add more if they wanted.

I have to say, this recipe was easy, but you wouldn't have guessed it as it was absolutely amazing, and my guests loved it. Think it could become a dinner party favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment